The Society has publicahed a wide range of works touching many aspects
of the Midland Railway; from the people who ran the railway, through
detailed accounts of important railway centres to the the locomotives
that pulled the trains.
- Journal. ISSN 1364-0216. Published three times a year.
- “Hassop : a chronology of railway history” by Laurence Knighton. ISBN 0-9537486-5-0. Published 2004, 44 pages, illustrated, £6.50.
- “Driver Fred Lowe of Canklow : The life of a Midland Railway employee from 1903 to 1915”. ISBN 0-9357486-1-8. Published 2001, 132 pages, illustrated, £7.95.
- “Rowsley : a rural railway centre” by Glynn Waite and Laurence Knighton. ISBN 0-9537486-2-6. Published 2003, 132 pages, illustrated, maps. Available in both softback at £15.95 and hardback at £19.95.
- Midland Railway locomotive allocations, 1920. Published 2003. 20 pages, illustrated.
- Midland Railway Sketches by Strephon. Illustrated.
- Newsletter. Nos. 55–66 still available at 50p each.
- “The Midland Railway Steam Motor Carriages” by Stephen Summerson.
- “S. W. Johnson’s locomotive aesthetic beauty — an appreciation” by Jack Braithwaite. ISBN 0-9357486-4-0. Published 2004, 20 pages, illustrated, £3.50.
- “The directors of the Midland Railway : some characters and characteristics” by Roger Brettle. Illustrated, £2.50.
- “The Birmingham West Suburban Railway” by John Edgington. Published 2002. 30 pages, illustrated, maps, £2.50.
- “Railways that never were : (Midland lines projected or unopened)” by John V. Gough. Published 2001. 18 pages, illustrated, maps £2.50.
The Society organises regular tours and often
produces a guide to accompany the tour.
- The roundhouse — Derby : notes in connection with a tour of the former Midland Railway locomotive works roundhouse and offices, Derby. Saturday 7th April 2001
- Notes on the Skipton / Hellifield Tour - May 1997. Out of print.
- Notes on the West Riding Tour - June 1997. Out of print.
- Notes on the Burton & Ashby Light Railway Tour - July 1997.Out of print.
- The Wirksworth and Ripley branches : notes in connection with a tour of the area on Saturday 9th May 1998. Price: £2.50
How to obtain our publications
All Society publications (whilst still in print) can be obtained from
the Society at our stall at exhibitions or from our publications
officer. Please see our publications for sale
page for full details. Our events page lists
where you might find our exhibition stall.
Non Society publications
The Society keeps a stock of other publications relating to the Midland Railway. Please see our publications for sale page for full details.