Journal 70 — Summer 2019

Table of Contents

  • Front cover

    Front cover

    A superb, posed study taken on Sunday 29th May 1904 depicts one of the original Johnson 4–4–0 Compunds, No. 2633 at the head of a rake of nine, square light, clerestory coaches on the up main line between the Milford Tunnel and Duffield station. The 45ft bogie full brake behnind the loco is carrying full crimson lake livery whilst the remainder of the stock appears to be still in photographic grey primer. The fourth vehicle is a 60ft, 12 wheeled dining car. The ridge in the far background is the Chevin through which the the 853 yard Milford Tunnel, the subject of two articles in the Journal, was driven. The tunnel mouth and the Milford Tower are off the right hand side of the photograph. Remarkably, the scene taken from what is now the A6 road is little changed today. The goods lines (nearest and furthest from the camera) have long gone but the fields beyond the line are now part of the up-market Chevin Golf Club.

    [Photo: MRSC 88-2018-0017 (Midland Railway Official DY2641)]

  • Rear cover

    Tewksbury, 1948. 0–4–4 ex Midland Johnson tank on Malver train.

    [Robin Cullup collection]