Journal 51 — Winter 2012
Table of Contents
- An Exercise in Marshalling / By Garth Ponsonby
- An Attempt at Illustration / By Ian Howard & Garth Ponsonby
- Changes in the St. Pancras Area / By John Gough
- Hidden Haddon: Its Rise and Fall / By Graeme Bickerdike
- Stopping Train Near Loughborough / By Ian Howard
- Foreigners / By Ian Howard
- Query Corner
- Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Barrows, Hand Carts, etc. : Selection 5
This early 20th century Midland official (DY 1824) view of the throat of St. Pancras station is remarkably rich in detail. The photographer had positioned the camera on the west departure line by St. Pancras Junction signalbox. The two lines to the right of the west departure line are the down and up main lines. Behind the box are the down and up goods lines. In the background stands the great mass of the goods station and on the right — looking nicely painted — are two of the gas-holders of the Imperial Gas Company. The trees on the left are in the Old St. Pancras Churchyard. Many aspects of Midland track and signalling design are clearly shown. Note instances of signals for both directions mounted on one post. Note also the fine telegraph masts to be seen in front of the trees and some good lighting fittings (both north of the signalbox and on the water-tower). Last but not least, a sense of period is brought out strongly by the enamelled advertisements to the left of locomotive No. 125 (standing fully coaled in the turntable sidings), including amongst others Sutton’s Seeds, Maple & Co., Pears Soap, and Nestles Milk.
[Jack Braithwaite collection]
This handbill of July 1909 was produced to advertise a new service provided by the Midland and the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railways from Huddersfield and Halifax southwards through the Midland system. It continued, and formed part of the complexity five years later that is discussed by Garth Ponsonby in his article based on the 1914 Midland carriage Marshalling booklet.
[Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, No. 14520: Midland Railway Study Centre]