Journal 50 — Autumn 2012

Table of Contents

  • Items from the Study Centre / By Roy Burrows
  • A Visit to Matlock in 1842
  • Carriage Over-run at Woodlesford / By Howard Benson
  • Three Special Platforms and Four Special Trains / By Roger Brettle
  • Application of the Spur to Mr. Cox at Wirksworth
  • Locomotive Inelegance / By Ian Howard
  • Reconstruction of a Bridge at London Road, Derby about 1876 / By David Harris, Tony Overton & Peter Witts
  • Foreigners / By Ian Howard
  • Boundary Posts at Bentham / By Jim Pope
  • 2–4–0 No. 2 at Burton Shed
  • The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway in October 1888 / By Charles Phillips
  • Query Corner
  • Comments on Items in Previous Journals
  • Derby Mercury Advert, 1853
  • Front cover

    Front cover

    It is quite remarkable how closely St. Enoch station in Glasgow (the terminus of the Midland’s main Scottish partner, the Glasgow and South Western Railway) mirrored that of the Midland’s terminus in London, St. Pancras station. Both railways had to climb over a nearby water-course, the River Clyde for the G&SWR, and the Regent’s canal for the Midland Railway. In consequence, each station was at a high level, St. Pancras station being built over the famous beer cellars and St. Enoch station on a set of arches that allowed several roads to run transversely under the station. The St. Enoch hotel was the largest of Glasgow’s three railway hotels, having 200 bedrooms and 20 public rooms. The imposing frontage facing St. Enoch Square was 360ft long and 120ft high and the North wing, seen along the road at the left of the autochrome was 500ft long. Both stations had imposing train sheds, which is not surprising since that at St. Enoch was modelled on Barlow’s masterpiece at St. Pancras.

    [Ian Howard collection: copies obtainable from the U.S. Library of Congress at]

  • Rear cover

    Rear cover

    We depart in this issue from our normal practice of having illustrations printed within the article to which they relate. The two tickets illustrated on our back page are the subject of Roy Burrow’s latest article on items from the Study Centre. The reason they appear there rather than with the article itself is that the back page is the only place where they can appear in the colour in which they were originally printed. As Roy describes in his article, the ticket at the top (No. 16535) was probably issued on the day of the official opening involving special trains for the Directors, shareholders and friends. The ticket on the bottom (No. 16536) was, Roy suggests, a printer’s proof.

    [Roy F. Burrows Midland Collection Trust, Nos. 16535 & 16536: Midland Railway Study Centre]