Journal Contents 2005

Issue no. 28 — Summer 2005

Cover photo: Mansfield Colliery, initially known as Crown Farm Colliery started production in 1906. It was reached by a branch off the Mansfield to Southwell line, which opened in January 1905. The wagons of the owner, the Bolsover Colliery Co. Ltd., are prominent, this being the first of their collieries in Nottinghamshire as the mining area expanded eastwards into the concealed coal measures. No.3383 was built in 1892 as 2106 and never received a larger boiler, being withdrawn in 1935. Delivered in 1899 as No.2409, No.3588 received its larger ‘H’ class boiler in 1908 along with the more modern Deeley cab that did at least provide the locomen with a proper roof over their heads. Despite its more powerful boiler No. 3588 was withdrawn in 1926. Two years later all locos carrying these boilers had been rebuilt or withdrawn, yet engines in a condition similar to No.3383 remained until 1959. Both these engines remained in the Nottingham district for most of their lives. As neither are very clean, this photo may date from the post Great War period. The partly obscured wagon belongs to Albert Usher & Co., a firm of coal merchants that had many depots in London, including two on the Midland Railway. [Photograph J. Ryan collection; notes by Peter Witts]

Back cover: Because of the number of items in this issue, there was little space to include an illustration on the back cover that needed an extensive description. We therefore show a rather attractive advertisement for the 11.3Oam St. Pancras to Glasgow, which purported to have ‘The Best Restaurant Service’. [L. Knighton collection]

Issue no. 29 — Autumn 2005

Cover photo: 22,941 Midland Railway employees had joined HM Forces by the end of the First World War. During this time women were appointed to jobs that had previously been the preserve of men. In this photograph we see a group of female loco cleaners on Straker steam lorry, registration FB 01 (MR No.5263). The sign shows that 21,500 men had joined the Forces at this time, so the photograph was presumably taken during the Spring/Summer of 1918. The location of the photograph is not known, although the FB registration is said to have been used by Bath from 1903 to 1932. See also page 18 for other photographs of female employees during WW1. [Photograph J. Alsop collection]

Back cover: A handbill advertising Cook’s half day excursion fares to St. Albans on Thursday 8th July 1909 in connection with a Children’s Pageant. This coincided with a visit by the Mayor and some of the inhabitants of Caen in Northern France — perhaps an early case of today’s twinning? The main activities appear to have involved traditional British dancing, rounded off with a firework display, for which there was a charge of 6d. No doubt similar facilities were available from south of St. Albans, and probably off the Hemel Hempsted branch as well. [S. Summerson collection]

Issue no. 30 — Winter 2005

Cover photo: It is over a century ago since the line between Chinley North Junction and New Mills South was widened to take four lines. This necessitated the opening out of the 261 yards Bugsworth Tunnel, a process that is recorded as having taken from 30th September 1901 to 13th July 1902. This photograph shows the northern mouth of the Tunnel a few years before the changes took place. Additional notes, including a photograph taken farther from the tunnel mouth, can be found on page 12. [Cumbrian Railways Association Wilson-Mitchell Collection]

Back cover: A handbill with a difference this time. As will be seen from the annotations, it is actually a proof copy advertising Thos. Cook & Son inclusive excursions from stations in Yorkshire to London in 1898. The back, which gives full details about the excursions and what is offered, is illustrated the inside front cover. Similar handbills are known for other parts of Britain and are also listed inside. [G. Waite collection]