Journal 20 — Autumn 2002
Table of Contents
- Focus on Signalling at Chellaston Junction and the Surrounding Area / By David Harris
- Locomotive Aesthetics / By Jack Braithwaite
- The Centenary of the Grassington Branch / By Peter Huff
- Land and rating sub-committee, Glasgow
- Beyond the Boundaries (3) / By David Geldard
- Query 31 (new query) : Accident in Doves Holes tunnel
- Query 32 (new query) : Where was this photograph taken
Comments on Items in Previous Journals
- Crosshill & Codnor [No. 15]
- Service messroom band
A rare photograph of a Sentinal-Cammell railcar at the Ripley Branch platform at Langley Mill in 1925. Judging from the number of railway employees in the photograph, it would appear that this was one of the first trial runs. See under ‘Comments on items in previous journals’ for further information about these trials.
[Mrs A. E. Basford]
Another reminder of the centenary of the Grassington Branch in this handbill which advertised the new services commencing on Wednesday 30th July 1902. It is possibly unique in showing connections from no fewer than 39 stations on the Midland system - a feature that probably took some time to compile and then check when the proof was returned from Bemrose. Although it is dated 25th July, the reference in the bottom left shows that the 5,000 copies ordered were not produced until the 29th July, which may have resulted in some stations not receiving their copies until the opening day.