Forthcoming Events in the Society calender.
- Warley Model Railway Show — November 22–23rd, 2014. Birmingham NEC
- We will have a stand at the Warley Model Railway Show again this
year. Bob Essery will also be at the show with the LMS Matters
stand and the remaining back copies of Midland Record.
- Members Meeting — Saturday, 14th February 2015 at the Hallmark Inn (formerly European Inn), Derby DE1 2SL.
- Our speaker will be our Secretary, Dave Harris, who will give an illustrated talk on “An illustrated tour of the signalling in and around Burton Upon Trent”. Those of you who know Burton will know this is an extremely varied and interesting subject. The rooms will be available from 11am with the talk starting at 1.30pm. The bookstall will be in attendance.
- Members Meeting — 11th October 2014, The Showroom, 15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield. S1 2BX.
- Our Speaker will be Glynn Waite who will give an illustrated talk on “Midland Railway Staff Records”. The room will be available from 11am and the talk will commence at 1.30pm. The bookstall will be in attendance.
- Week-end Tour — 6–7th September 2014.
- We will have a “Behind the Scenes” at the Keighley & Worth Valley
Railway led by David Pearson and a visit to Woodlesford led by
Howard Benson. Accomodation for the weekend has been aranged in
the newly restored Midland Railway Hotel in Bradford.
- Members' Visit — Saturday, 12th July 2014.
- The Garden Railway of George Huxley in Church Enstone (deepest Oxfordshire). The visit will be at 2.30 pm and includes not just the railway but also the workshop and finish with refreshments in the garden. The number of visitors is limited to ten so please let Andrew Surry know if you would like to attend.
- Members Meeting — Saturday, 14th June 2014, Kettering Corn Market Hall.
- Our speaker will be John Downing giving his talk “Turn Left at Kentish Town” — an illustrated tour of the Midland goods depots to the east of the city. The bookstall will be in attendance.
- AGM — 5th April 2014 at the Roundhouse in Derby.
- Members Meeting — Saturday, 15th February 2014 at the Hallmark Inn (formerly European Inn), Derby DE1 2SL.
Our speaker will be Royden Stock who will give an illustrated talk on “St. Pancras in Two World Wars”. Royden is well known for his tours of the former Midland Grand Hotel and for his erudition on the history and of the building itself.
The rooms will be available from 11am with the talk starting at 1.30pm. The bookstall will be in attendance.
- Member’s meeting — Saturday, 14th September 2013, Hallmark Inn (formerly European Inn), Midland Road, Derby. DE1 2SL.
This is a reconvening of the March meeting which had to be cancelled due to the inclement weather. The speaker will be John Downing who will give an illustrated talk entitled “Turn Right at Cricklewood” and follow the goods (especially coal) traffic around London after it arrived at Brent Sidings. The room will be available from 11 am and the talk will commence at 1.30 pm. Andrew Cholerton and the bookstall will be in attendance.
Note that the venue is the INN not the Hallmark (formerly Midland) Hotel across the road!
- Members Meeting — 26th October 2013, The Showroom, 15 Paternoster Row, Sheffield. S1 2BX.
- Illustrated Talk by Steve Duckworth on “Victorian Midland engines at home and at work. We know the what; what about the where?”. Room and bookstall available from 11 am. Talk to begin at 1.30 pm.
- Members Visit — 6th July 2013. Tour of St. Albans South Signal Box.
- Rendez-vous St. Albans station 11 am. Please contact Andrew Surry at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm a place on the tour.
- Members Meeting — 22nd June 2013, Corn Market Hall, Kettering.
- Talk by Michael Woodward on Kettering - Manton - Nottingham line . Room and bookstall available from 11 am. Talk to begin at 1.30 pm.
- Bakewell Model Railway Exhibition — 8th & 9th June 2013.
The Society will have a stand at the Wingfield Railway Group's Peak Model Railway Exhibition at the Agricultural Business Centre in Bakewell.
- AGM — 27th April 2013, North Midland Railway Roundhouse, Derby
- Sheffield & District Family History Fair — 1st June, 2013.
The Society will have a stand at the Sheffield & District Family History Fair which is being held at Sheffield Wednesday's Hillsborough Stadium.
- Members' Meeting, Derby — Saturday 23rd March 2013 CANCELLED
- Tour of Unstone — Saturday 9th March 2013.
- Organised by Nick Wheat. Details to follow.
- Members' Meeting & EGM, Derby — Saturday 3rd November 2012
Please note the change of venue, the meeting will now be held at the Hallmark Inn (formerly the European Inn), London Road, Derby DE1 2SL. The speaker will be Mike Beale of the Somerset & Dorest Heritage Trust who will give an illustrated talk on the 150th anniversary of the formation of the Somerset Central Railway in 1862 and the 50th anniversay of the last "The Pines" over the route in 1862. The lower hall will be available from 11 am and the talk will commence at 1.30 pm
The Society bookstall will be in attendance.
The meeting will be preceeded by an Extraordinary General Meeting with the single item of business: Pursuant to attaining Charitable Status, to adopt a new constitution.
- Study Centre Open Day, Saturday 27th October, 2012
Held in conjunction with the UNESCO World Heritage Weekend.
- Cataloguing Day, Study Centre, Saturday 13th October, 2012
- From 10:30am onwards. There is plenty of scope for everyone to help out and we would be delighted to see any Society member.
- Members' Meeting , Kettering — Saturday 26th May 2012
Peter Butler gave a talk on "St. Pancras and his Station".
- AGM — 14th April 2012, Carriage Shop Theatre, North Midland Railway Roundhouse, Derby
- Members' Meeting — Saturday, 3rd March 2012 at the Creative Lounge in the Workstation, Sheffield.
A talk given by Ian Howard on “The Sheffield Widenings of the Midland Railway: 1890-1904”
- Kettering 'O' Gauge Guild — Saturday 3rd March 2012
- We will be attending this event with our well stocked bookstall of Midland Railway and general railway related books.
- Members' Meeting — Saturday, 12th November 2011 in the Chatsworth Room at The Chesterfield Hotel, Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
Ted Hancock who will give an illustrated talk on the building of the tunnels of the Dore & Chinley line.
The room will be available from 11 am and the talk will commence at 1.30 pm. Andrew Cholerton will be present with the bookstall.
- Study Centre Open Day — 10th September, 2011
As part of the Heritage Open Days we are running guided tours of the Study Centre allowing you to see behind the scenes and get close to the collections. The Midland Railway Society book stall will be open for business with our large range of Midland Railway related books.
- Tour of Kentish Town — Saturday, 2nd July 2011
- Entitled “Betjmen’s boyhood railway”, the tour will be led by John Downing. The tour starts at Sir John Betjemen’s statue at St. Pancras station at 11 am. Full details are in the latest newsletter.
- AGM — 9th April 2011, Derby
- Gauge 'O' Guild Spring Show, 5th March, 2011, Kettering
- We will have our stand at the Gauge 'O' Guild show.
- Members meeting Saturday 19th March 2011, at the Silk Mill, Derby
- David Pearson will give us a talk on the Midland Railway and Ireland, covering the development of its Irish aspirations, its attempt to find an Irish Sea port and the take over of the B&NCR and other developments.
The meeting will be held at the Silk Mill, Derby Industrial Museum. The talk will start at 1:30pm and the room will be available to members from 10:30am.
- Sheffield Railwayana 11th December, 2011
- Warley Model Railway Show — November 20-21st, 2011. Birmingham NEC
- Members Meeting -- 16th October, 2010, Derby Industrial Museum.
- Members Meeting -- Kettering 31st July, 2010.
- Burton-on-Trent Tour -- 24th July, 2010.
- AGM & Presidential Address -- Derby 10th April, 2010.
- Warley Exhibition, NEC, Birmingham -- 21st & 22nd November, 2009.
- Members' Meeting -- 17th October, 2009. Derby Silk Mill.
Ian Castledine gave a talk on locomotive builders plates of the Midland Railway.
- Tour of Nottingham -- 8th August, 2009.
- Bakewell Model Railway Exhibition -- 13th June, 2009.
- AGM & Presidential Address -- Derby 4th April, 2009.
- Members' Meeting -- 7th February, 2009. Sheffield.
- Warley Exhibition, NEC, Birmingham -- 22nd & 23rd November, 2008.
- AGM & Presidential Address -- Derby 5th April, 2008.
- Members' Meeting -- 23rd February, 2008. Showroom 5, The Showroom, Sheffield.
- Members' Meeting -- 8th September, 2007. Derby.
- Tour of the Brimingham West Suburban Lines -- 7th July, 2007.
- AGM & Presidential Address -- Derby 14th April, 2007.
- Members' Meeting -- 3rd March, 2007. Derby
- Members' Meeting -- 18th November, 2006. Derby
- Chesterfield Local History Fair -- 29th October, 2006
- West Riding Tour -- 15th July, 2006.
- Rowsley Walk -- 3rd June, 2006.
- AGM - Derby April, 2006.
- Warley Exhibition, NEC, Birmingham -- 3rd & 4th December, 2005.
- Members meeting -- 19th November 2005. Derby Industrial Museum.
- Barnsley : Kingston School, Bradway -- 5th & 6th November, 2005.
- North Derbyshire Family & Local History Fair : Chesterfield -- Saturday 15th October, 2005.
- Appleby / Kirkby Stephen Tour -- 10th September 2005.
- Bakewell Model Railway Exhibition -- 11th/12th June 2005.
- Harpenden / Hemel Hempstead Tour -- 4th June 2005.
- Buxton Family History Fair -- 21st May 2005.
- Sheffield : Birkdale School -- 16th & 17th April 2005.
- AGM and Presidential Address -- 9th April 2005.
- Members meeting -- 19th February 2005. Derby Industrial Museum.
- Warley Exhibition, NEC, Birmingham -- 4th, 5th December, 2004.
- Behind the scenes at Wirksworth -- 22nd August, 2004.
- Rowthorne to Pleasley Vale Tour -- 10th July, 2004.
- Bakewell Exhibition -- 12th & 13th June, 2004.
- Halifax (Gauge O Guild) Exhibition -- 5th June, 2004.
- 2004 AGM and Presidential Address -- 17th April 2004.
- Members meeting -- 28th February 2004.
- Warley (NEC Birmigham) Model Railway Exhibition -- 6-7th December 2003.
- Members meeting -- 22nd November 2003.
- Barnsley Model Railway Exhibition -- 8-9th November 2003.
- Hazel Grove Model Railway Exhibition -- 25-26th October 2003.
- Tour along the Hampton to Whitacre Line -- 17th May 2003
- Tour of Lancaster, Morecombe and Heysham area -- 21st June 2003
- Sheffield Model Railway Exhibition -- 5th/6th April 2003
- AGM and Presidential Address, Derby -- 12th April 2003
- Warley Show, Birmingham NEC -- 30th November & 1st December 2002
- Members meeting -- 22nd February 2003.
- Autumn Members meeting -- 19th October 2002.
- Midland Railway Centre -- 27th/28th July 2002
- Settle & Carlisle tour -- 29th June 2002
- Swansea Vale tour -- 18th May 2002.
- Sheffield Model Railway Exhibition -- 14th April, 2002
- AGM and Presidential Address -- 13th April, 2002
- Macclesfield Model Railway Exhibition -- 6th-7th April, 2002
- Members meeting -- Derby Saturday 23rd January 2002
- Warley Exhibition at the NEC -- 20th & 21st October 2001
- Birmingham area tour -- 13th October 2001
- Barrow Hill Roundhouse -- 8th September 2001
- Midland Railway Trust -- 12 May 2001
- Presidential address & AGM -- 7th April 2001
- Members meeting -- Saturday 24th February 2001
- Members meeting -- Saturday 18th November 2000
- Warley Model Railway Exhibition - 4th/5th November 2000
- AGM - 15th April, 2000
- Tour of Shackerstone/Swannington - 3rd June 2000
- Tour of Willingborough/Kettering - 7th October 2000
- Carlisle Model Railway Exhibition - 5th/6th August 2000
- Members Open Meeting - Saturday 26th February, 2000
- John Gough gave a talk on "Midland Railway Lines Planned But Not Constructed".
- Warley Model Railway Exhibition - 9th/10th October, 1999
- Members Open Meeting - 23rd October, 1999.
- Newark / Mansfield Tour - 11th September 1999.
- Trip to the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway - 8th August 1999.
- Rowsley - 5th & 6th June 1999.
An exhibition was being held at Rowsley village hall to commemerate 150 years since the arrival of the railway at Rowsley.
This event was held by The Rowsley Association.
- Hereford, Hay & Brecon Tour - Saturday May 15th, 1999.
- Presedential Address and AGM - Saturday April 10th, 1999
David Tee was unable to give his presidential address due to illness.
However, several members stepped in to fill the void. Roger Brettle
gave a fascinating talk on Midland Railway horse drawn passenger services.
Laurence Knighton recounted various tales involving royalty and the
nobility at Rowsley station while Adrian Prescott brought along some
old Midland plans from the Society archive.
- Members Day - Saturday February 20th, 1999 in Birmingham.
- Warley National Railway Exhibition Saturday 7th - Sunday 8th
- Toton Open Day Saturday 29th - Sunday 30th August 1998.
- Manchester Weekend Saturday 1st - Sunday 2nd August 1998.
On the Saturday the members were given a guided tour of the Midland
Hotel by Barbara Frost, a Blue Badge Guide. Some members later went for
a walk around the historic Castlefields area of Manchester.
Sunday involved a short tour of the Bugsworth (later renamed to
- Members Day Saturday 11th July 1998 Wakefield.
- Wirksworth and Ripley Branch Tour Saturday 9th May 1998.
- Presidential Address October 1997.
Dr John Gough gave his Presidential Address on Records and the Midland Railway to members of the Society in the Midland Hotel, Derby.
John's Presidential Address has been published by the Society and is available to members only.
- Burton & Ashby Light Railway Tour July 1997.
- West Riding Tour June 1997.
- Skipton & Hellifield Tour May 1997.
- Bristol & Bath Area Tour September 1996.
- Darley Dale to Monsal Dale Saturday 11th May 1996.